Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm a BAD momma. NOT!

This week end the kids and I worked so hard in our yard and garden plus my mom's yard that we didn't do school lessons Monday. We did swimming lessons! And after that we all pitched in and done or chores for the day. I guess if you judge me with your point of view or standards of how I should school my kids then I guess you would considered me of being a bad mom. But in my point of view I don't see it that way.
When I 1st started home schooling I thought I had to go with the standards of the Public point of view, but I found that don't work for us. In my point of view, you can have all the book knowledge in the world and still don't know how to deal with what the real life will throw at you once you get out of Momma and Daddy's house and sometimes them little twist that hit you before. To me life skills is just as important. Most kids that are in the public school system has so much stress to live up to this standard, home and peers that they are so stressed or they don't get taught how to do some of your most important things to live life. Example: How to cook, take care of their home, enjoy life, how to deal with life stressers, ect and ect. Example: There is a lady I know that her 16 year old daughter could be a good example, plus I have a niece that could be another. Okay, this 16 year old-She is in Color gaurd, Band, works and is expected to keep on the national honor roll. That is all good and all, but here while back this little girl got so stressed that got cutting herself to release pain. (I don't understand, but) Instead of the parents understanding, getting her help or trying to show her how to deal with stress, they pulled in the strains on her a little harder. Her mom sit right here yesterday and told me she didn't know what her little girl was going to do when she gets out on her own because her grades have went down a little (A's & B's instead of all A's)plus she said her daughter did not know how cook, wash her clothes, so on and so forth. She had the nerve to tell me she wished her little girl was more like my kids! I looked at her a little stupid and said how do you get that? She told me that my kids knew how to cook, clean house, take care of themself, and so on and so on. Well, you don't have to be a home schooler to teach that, I said, before I thought. She just looked at me funny and changed the subject. I guess what I'm trying to say is people (mostly family) Just because we don't school on the standards of Public school they don't think I'm doing my job as a mother. Well, PS DON'T work for us.
kitten

No comments: