Saturday, September 15, 2007

The letter Q



"Q" stands for Queen. Yes, I'm the queen of this house. I have a few lady friends and a few nieces that have tried to come in and take over. NOPE! Ain't happening! This is my house, my kids and my husband. I have a few places that are my domain, don't come in and make me feel you are pushing me aside. If you want to be Queen, find your own house, kids and husband!
"Q" also stands for quilts. When I 1st married Dan Dan his grandmother started showing me how to make quilts. I have always thought them to be neat, but because of others harping on me not being able to sew, I stopped before I really tried. When we started home schooling, I kept trying to find someone help me make costumes and such. I finally got me a sewing machine and started teaching myself. I do okay with costumes, not bad at clothes, but I do very well at quilts. (Quilt tops so far) I went back to Dan's grandmother and told her and her eyes lite up like a Christmas tree. She pulled out a lot her stuff that night and she even said, "I'm so glad I finally have someone I can give all my quilt stuff to and my legacy live on. I almost cried. But I find working with quilts is really relaxing. Also, I'm thinking when I get done with this ABC meme of making a quilt out of the ABC's I have copied off the net and ironing them on different scraps of material and sewing them together. That way I'll have a beautiful quilt and a great memory. (The picture above is a quilt top I have started. I have got about 15 more rows to make before I can complete.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be queen of your domain. When I do my bee tour (I am a tour guide) I say: "The farmer has to check the queen to make sure she is happy and healthy, because if the queen is happy and healthy, the whole hive will be happy and healthy. Is that like at home?" I usually get some good affirmations from some of the kids, especially the older ones. The teachers and parents usually laugh. I love quilts, but have yet to work on one. I have done some table runners in the past but nothing bigger.

Holly said...

I made some quilts for DS before he came home, including a really cute ABC one, but now I find it difficult to sew. How do you manage with kids? It's why I turned to knitting.

Debs said...

I am Queen Bee in my hive. :) I want to learn to quilt. I have some books with patterns and ideas in them. I just need the courage to do it.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. It took me two months just to embroider 5 blocks on my grandbaby's quilt.
Then I sent it to my aunt to quilt it.

Lisa said...

Very cool. We just had our old sewer refurbished, and I got an embroidery machine for my birthday. I really don't have much sewing exsperience but plan to teach myself over the winter. Just haven't had time this summer.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I came looking for fun Monday, and your quilt qualifies as a piece of art for sure.