Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Christmas craft.

We were talking here while back about traditions that we do. I had forgot about the Christmas ornaments we make every year. They are fun and smell really good. The plus side is if a small child does get it their mouth it wont hurt them. It may taste bad, but is not harmful.
Ingredients:
1- cup apple sauce
1- 4.5 oz jar ground cinnamon

Mix really well. If it is too soupy and not like a dough form add more cinnamon. Roll up into a ball then flatten. Get a roller and flatten out to about a half inch thick. Use any cookie cutter you like and cut them out. Lay them on a non stick cookie sheet. Cook @ 350 degrees about 20 -30 minutes. Before you cook them take a toothpick and make a hole just big enough to put a string through. When you get them out of oven check all the holes, but be careful not to crack them. Let them set over night, then hang them on a tree or share them with friends and family.
The ones that break or crack to bad I will sit around the house to give the house a fresh Christmas smell.
ENJOY!

6 comments:

Kellan said...

That is a great tradition and they sound really cool - especially that they smell so good. One year I made a lot of home made ornaments and some of them I made with all the acorn shells we had in the yard - I should do that again this year, cuz we have billions of acorns. Your ornaments sound much nicer than mine - see ya.

Fourmother said...

Kitten, what temp do you cook them on in the oven? BTW I LOVE your Meez avatar!

Anonymous said...

We don't do Christmas, but I have always wanted to use this recipe to do crafts for this house. I might have to do it this year. I would like to make cut out hearts and clue them to a wide ribbon and paint on them, you know like "love, live, laugh". "Faith, Hope, Charity," "clean, up, after, your, self" "Were, you, born, in, a, barn" ha ha. You get the idea. Thanks for reminding me of this craft.

Holly said...

I've heard of this but never done it. Maybe this is the year. A good smelling house is always a motivator. :-).

Robinella said...

This is one of my favorite Christmas crafts. They smell soooooo good. I used to make them every few years and either use them on the gifts as tags or as ornaments. You can add a few drops of clove oil to spice 'em up again.

I'm glad you posted this because I was just thinking, I forgot the recipe. :-)

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for this kitten...
I do believe we will be making these the day after thansgiving after we go buy the tree...
:o)

Dottie