Saturday, April 12, 2008

Say Something Saturday (3)

Here is Ami's Say Something Saturday assignment:
You're trying to bake a cake from scratch.
Everything is going wrong, from having to
substitute ingredients to the oven not working properly.
(Is it too hot? Too cold? Not level? You decide.)
Rhyme it, Dr. Seuss style.

Make it as long or short as you want.
Make up silly words and have fun with this.
Draw a picture to go with it.

(I also added my recipe of my cake at the bottom)
************************************

I was in my kitchen doing my thing when the phone rang. Over the clatter and chatter of of my pots and pans I heard a terrible freight! My pastor's wife wanted me to bake a cake all in one night. Not just any cake you see, but a chocolate lovers dream. I didn't fuss or even cuss, but I have already been in the kitchen all day and night. I got to looking for all I need, oh me! Oh my! What do I do? I have no cake flour or sugar to put together this wonderful cake of mine. I skimp and scamper trying to find something to take its place. I look and find some Splenda, powder milk, flour and starch, maybe I'm not off to a really bad start. I go to throwing it all together, and what is this? My mixer has a short! I guess in my hurry I cut the cord. I get the tape and fix it up. With a miss here and there I finally get it mixed together. I put the batter in the oven to bake, then sit down and have a shake. When it's done I get up to look, "oh me, oh my!, one layer is off to one side. No worry, I say, I'll just use extra frosting to make it stay. In a little of hurry to get it done, oops!, I put too much milk, now it will run. Trying to hold it in place while it slip slides away I wonder if I will ever get it done. After hours of sweating and crying, "Hooray it's done"! Still wondering how good it will be, to my surprise, it's the biggest hit of the day!

(I guess you can tell that drawing is not one of my strong points. I also had problems with my scanner. After working for hours of trying to get it to work, I decided to take a picture of my drawing with my camera)




************************************************
Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
4 1/2 (1-ounce each) bars HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
Combine chocolate and water in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat well. Add chocolate; beat until blended.
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture.
Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff, but not dry; fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
For frosting
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar
8 tablespoons (about) whole milk
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Gradually beat in 3 cups sugar. Beat in 6 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Add cocoa and remaining 2 cups sugar; beat until blended, thinning with more milk if necessary.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

applause! well done.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture, and "I didn't even cuss" :-)

MOM #1 said...

Great job! I really enjoyed reading it. It's funny and clever. I LOVE that you drew a picture.

Anonymous said...

You did a good job. I would find that assignment difficult. It looks like a yummy recipe for cake.

Jill said...

wow, you did do it right didnt you? way to go for drawing the pictures. i just posted a cupcake pic of ones i'd already done (not repeatable, as they quit making roadkill gummies, darnit!)... oh well!